Friday 17 May 2013

To Blog or Not To Blog?


Writing things down is a way to get things off your chest, to get your thoughts and feelings out there without actually having to say them out loud. It seems these days it’s the thing to do, especially if you’ve got some time on your hands, as I do at the moment.

On Valentine’s day this year I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Instead of going out for a nice meal with my boyfriend (something we usually do after Valentine’s Day so we don’t get charged ridiculous prices for dishes we can’t even chose ourselves) we were sat at home with the task of telling our families. The hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. After only a few hours of being diagnosed I couldn’t really bring myself to say the word ‘cancer.’ At 25 years old it wasn’t on my list of things to do, on my rough plan on how I wanted my life to turn out but it is now something that I have to deal with every day, as does my family.

A few people suggested I write a blog or keep a diary, which I was unsure of at first. Why would I want people, some of them strangers, knowing personal things about me and about what I am going through? My mind starting to change when James (my wonderful boyfriend and solid rock through this awful ordeal) encouraged me to set up a justgiving page to raise money by shaving my head for the Breast Centre Llandough, where I was treated and will continue to be treated. I wanted to raise a couple of hundred pounds, just as a thank you to my Breast nurse, my doctor, and all the other people at the Breast Centre Llandough. A special mention to the singing receptionist (the Grease melody I think it was) for managing to give me and James a laugh on one of our visits, something not common in that place! Little did I know what an amazing response this page would receive. Currently the total raised is over £1500. Friends, family, friends of family, friends of friends and even some strangers have donated generously and completely overwhelmed me with messages of support and encouragement.

And so I think this blog will be born. It will not be all doom, gloom and cancer however as that is not the kind of person I am and I definitely do not want this thing taking over my life, nor will I let it. I will keep you updated on my day to day adventures - I seem to have taken up gardening. I am an expert gardener; this is what I believe anyway.
Ask my parents and James and you may receive a different response. Also ask James’ dad Graham, at the end of the summer how his vegetable patch has got on as he is allowing me to plant a few things! So far I have a few little broccoli plants popping up to say hello and some sunflowers that seemed to have stopped growing….. I also have increased my baking repertoire, something I have loved doing for years; however sugary dairy filled goods are not highly recommended with cancer, so I bake, have a little treat of what I have made and leave the rest for others to eat.
So I will endeavour to keep you updated on my ever increasing gardening skills, my interesting concoctions in the kitchen, as well as how I am doing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi love. I can't tell you how much you've been in my thoughts and prayers lately. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, not because of your situation with being diagnosed with breast cancer, but because of your tenacity, courage, and strength. Although we only spent a few short weeks together in Costa Rica, I am so happy to call you a good friend. Keep blogging, baking, and broccoli growing- these are all ways to heal!

    ReplyDelete