Monday 20 May 2013

Brrr my head's a bit chilly!

So Saturday was the day of the big shave… My hair had started to give up the ghost, not helped by the fact that I am a constant hair fiddler. When I was at school, me and my best friend George always used to always check the back of each other jumpers for hairs after lunch, who knows how or why this began! While I was looking in the mirror at the vast amount of hair on my top one evening this came flooding back and I had a little chuckle to myself as she would have enjoyed that mammoth task!

Anyway so Saturday morning arrived, James was armed with his clippers and for once was not worried about the mess I was about to make, swiped away my suggestion of newspaper on the floor. It took about 5 minutes to let him near my head as I was overcome with the giggles. I don’t know how men go through having their heads shaved, it really tickles! And then all of a sudden my hair was gone. Well it did actually take a while, and I think James was pretty pleased with his barber efforts. A lot of people asked me when I said I was going to shave my head which hairdresser I was going to and were a bit shocked when I said James was doing it. Even the wig man! My thoughts were he couldn’t exactly do it wrong, and he is probably the only one I would have trusted to do it (well I would have trusted my mum too, but she wouldn’t have been able to do it and most probably would have cried throughout!). 
 
So the result was not as bad as expected although I was pretty horrified with how brown and dark my hair looked. I was not happy about that! So the deed was done and we raised and continue to raise an amazing amount of money for the Breast Centre, so thank you all for that.

As we had a day of summer we went down the beach, me in a coat and Ugg boots (it’s always a bit chillier by the beach and I don't like being cold), and my wig. After a little walk we went to the arcade and tried to win some Nemo teddies for our nephew on one of those grabber games (Nemo or Dory as we won Squirt last time). We didn’t win. I think it’s rigged as every time James got close and found Dory, and I got excited and started jumping up and down, the claw dropped her. Very disappointed.

Once we got home I took my wig off and blimey my head noticed the difference. Brain freeze! So for the last few days I’ve been alternating between my wig, head scarves and bare head. I think the scarves make me look more poorly at the moment, I suppose partly it’s because I just associate them with cancer. I don’t actually mind having a naked head but do not want people staring at me when I go out (and it’s very cold without hair) so have yet to brave that!

I have of course done some baking over the weekend, and had a very green fingered Sunday which I finished off today by repotting my chillies (hopefully spicy ones for my love of spicy food) and planted some cherry tomatoes. This all needed to be done prior to chemo cycle 2 tomorrow as the next few days will most probably be spent with me laying on the sofa doing my jigsaw, what a geek I have become….

1 comment:

  1. You are beautiful! And so is your writing, wishing you lots of luck with your treatment. A fighting spirit and a positive outlook seem to be naturally yours, what a stroke of luck. Be kind to yourself and gentle too, lots of nurturing in whatever form that takes.
    Sending Love
    Angela Bradshaw ( friend of Tanya's )

    ReplyDelete