Wednesday 28 August 2013

Cucumber Eyes

For the last 15 minutes I have been sat with cucumber slices on my eyes in a hope to reduce the puffy redness of them. It seems a side effect of this last chemo is to make my eyes to stream constantly so I appear to be in a continuous fit of tears, so much so my eyes are beginning to get a little sore, hence trying the cucumber. And it was lovely for those 15 minutes until the cucumber warmed up and I opened my eyes and the tears started again. However I suppose this is a small price to pay for all the toxic drugs in my body doing their job of kicking cancers bum.

Last blog I was going to attempt courgette cake in an attempt to use up some of the mammoth courgettes from the garden (both of which only use up one courgette so not really helping use up the hundreds we are getting!). I have now tried 2 different courgette cakes, both a success! The courgette cupcakes went down well with everybody who tried them, quite similar to a carrot cake. And the second one, which I preferred I think was a courgette and sultana loaf. This was a perfect fruit loaf and reminded me of the one my nana used to make for me, my brother and cousins. There would always be one of these in her kitchen. I attempted to replicate her fruit loaf a few months ago and was told by my granddad it wasn’t as good! I am going to keep trying until I get his seal of approval!

Last week I had my biggest disaster in the kitchen ever! I attempted to make macaroons….  I wanted to make them for my friend Lowri, as part of her birthday present as she is a big fan of them. I have never made them before, however I was expecting them to be perfect. To look like the ones you buy in the shops, pretty colours, sandwiched together with icing and just overall delightful (see picture below). I read how complicated they are and how it takes people many attempts to get them right. O no not me I thought. I will get them right first time! O how wrong was I?! My macaroons looked like mini fried eggs. Flat as a pancake. I did however realise my error and mistakes are made to be learnt from! I had read how they can stick very easily to trays and baking paper and that nothing was more upsetting than the perfect macaroons being stuck on the tray, so being the baking genius I am (obviously not), I thought I would grease the baking paper to be extra sure they did not stick. O no no no no! Very basic error when working with egg whites is to put fat anywhere near them. Hence my disastrous fried egg/pancake looking macaroons, which turns out is pretty upsetting too (well at least I think this is what went wrong!). Needless to say Lowri did not get macaroons for her birthday, just a lovely little vintage cake stand, with no cakes on. Maybe I will have perfected them in time for her next birthday.
 

I also have some very exciting tomato news! There I was minding my own business doing the dishes (which look out onto the tomatoes), when what do I see, a hint of red??? It could not be. Out I go to investigate further and behold, an orange tomato! Result! It has only taken since May I think for the tomatoes to turn red! I hope other follow suit soon and begin the transition from green to red! I have been very excited about my tomatoes since I planted them as my dad has always grown amazing tomatoes, and they taste so different to the shop ones and have that smell about them (if you grow your own tomatoes you will know the smell I mean). And of course, when going back to mum and dads this weekend just gone, I was greeted by his lovely tomato plants, lots of them orange and ready to eat, and there were mine, back in Cardiff being stubborn and staying green. But now I have an orange one! I have also had a chilli, which I ate last night with my dinner (not very spicy though) and have more growing!
 

So all is well on the garden front at the moment. My sunflowers are still going strong, apart from being covered by the giant courgette plants so I am cutting them and bringing them inside to enjoy. We have had an invasion of caterpillars on the broccoli, there are so many of them I don’t want to eat it in fear of accidently eating one (I probably already have) as they hide in all the nooks of the broccoli. Luckily the broccoli is pretty much finished so it was not all destroyed! They just better not get to my sprouting broccoli or I’ll be out to get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment